Monday, April 30, 2012

Bringing up the Bobbin thread to the top

Hi again!
I realized after finalizing my earlier post from today, that I meant to talk about something and forgot.

When doing free motion quilting or any stitching on quilting, it is a very good idea, and I would almost say imperative, to pull the bobbin thread up to the top of your quilting before proceeding with your stitching.   I found this out the hard way when I did my first ATC/NTC.   I kept getting a thread nest, after thread nest under the ATC every time I began to stitch.  I changed sewing machine needles, changed threads, cleaned out my bobbin holder area, you name it!  I was so frustrated I'm sure there was smoke coming out of my ears!  

And then I remembered a little something from all the quilt shows I had watched.  Bring up the bobbin thread to the top of your work.  Well, I always thought this was just a little quirk of the quilter but NOPE!!!  Its a MUST!  You might get lucky, like me, and get a few rows of stitching in with no problems at all, but when the poop hits the fan and the nests start, oh my....    When the nests start, so do the curse words!

If you do a Google search for "Bringing the bobbin thread up to the top", you will get many suggested links.  I came across this one.  I do not endorse her book, nor have I ever seen it before, but when she finally gets down to giving the demonstration on bringing up the thread to the top of your work, its pretty darned good!

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment